Furniture is a crucial part of our daily lives, and choosing the right pieces for your home can make all the difference.
Whether you're furnishing a small apartment or a sprawling house, the process can seem overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be. By considering these eight tips, you'll be well on your way to finding the perfect furniture for your space.
1. Consider your lifestyle: When selecting furniture, think about how you plan to use it. For example, if you have kids and pets, you may want to opt for more durable and stain-resistant fabrics. Additionally, consider your daily routines and habits, like whether you like to lounge on the sofa with a book or host dinner parties regularly. By taking these factors into account, you can choose furniture that fits your lifestyle and will last for years to come.
Consider the color scheme of your room and choose furniture that complements it.
Look for furniture that can serve multiple purposes, such as a storage ottoman that doubles as extra seating.
2. Measure your space: Before you start shopping, take precise measurements of the room and the space where the furniture will be placed. This will ensure that you don't purchase pieces that are too big or too small for your space, which can lead to clutter and a cluttered look.
Make sure you have enough room to open doors and drawers, as well as enough space for people to walk around comfortably.
Consider the scale of the furniture in relation to the size of the room, as well as other pieces in the space, like artwork and rugs.
3. Think about functionality: When choosing furniture, consider what functions you need it to serve. For example, if you need a comfortable place to sit and relax, look for a sofa with a good amount of cushioning. By considering functionality, you can choose pieces that meet your needs and make your space more functional and comfortable.
Don't forget to consider storage needs when choosing furniture, especially in smaller spaces.
Look for pieces that can be easily moved and rearranged, so you can change up your space as needed.
4. Set a budget: Furniture can be expensive, so it's important to set a budget and stick to it. This will help you narrow down your options and choose pieces that fit within your financial means. By setting a budget, you can avoid overspending and make smart decisions about your furniture purchases.
Consider purchasing high-quality, classic pieces that will last for years, rather than cheaper pieces that will need to be replaced more frequently.
Don't be afraid to shop at second-hand stores or online, as you can often find great deals on gently used furniture.
5. Consider comfort: When choosing furniture, always prioritize comfort. You want to select pieces that will be comfortable to sit or lounge on for long periods of time. Comfort should be your number one concern when selecting furniture, as you want your space to be a relaxing and inviting place to spend time.
Test out furniture before you buy it by sitting on it, lounging on it, or lying down on it.
Consider the type of cushioning you prefer, such as firm or plush, and choose furniture that meets those preferences.
6. Consider style: Furniture is a big part of your home's decor, so it's important to choose pieces that fit your personal style and complement the rest of your decor. From traditional to modern and everything in between, consider the style you prefer and select furniture that fits with the overall look and feel of your space. Further tips:
Don't be afraid to mix and match styles, as long as they complement each other and create a cohesive look.
Consider the color and finish of the furniture, as well as any embellishments or details, to ensure they match your personal style.
7. Quality over quantity: When it comes to furniture, quality should always come first. While it may be tempting to purchase a lot of cheap furniture to fill your space, these pieces may not last as long or be as comfortable as higher quality pieces. By investing in high-quality furniture, you can enjoy comfort and durability for years to come.
Check for sturdiness by shaking and testing the furniture, as well as inspecting the joints and legs for stability.
Look for furniture made from high-quality materials, such as solid wood or metal, as these materials will last longer and be more durable than cheaper alternatives.
8. Don't be afraid to ask for help: Furnishing your home can be a big and overwhelming task, but don't be afraid to ask for help. Consult with friends, family, or a professional designer to get a second opinion on your furniture choices and ensure that you're making the right decisions for your space.
Ask for help moving heavy furniture, as well as setting it up and arranging it in your space.
Consider hiring a professional to help with the design and layout of your space, as they can offer expert advice and suggestions on furniture selection.
Remember to consider your lifestyle, measure your space, think about functionality, set a budget, prioritize comfort, choose pieces that fit your style, prioritize quality over quantity, and don't be afraid to ask for help. With these guidelines in mind, you'll be able to make smart and informed decisions about your furniture purchases and create a beautiful and functional home.
Need some more ideas and tips for the other areas of your home, then take a look at my book on amazon: Buy Now
By thinking about the ideas, principles and strategies provided in my book, you will be equipped with the knowledge, understandings, and ideas you may not have thought about before. This allows you to then design a space with confidence, helping you to unleash your own unique design prowess.
You'll be able to figure out what areas to focus on, be ready to create you project brief, look into focal points or rooms in the home you are tackling and think about adding some cheeky personality to the spaces by thinking outside the box a little.
You can pick up this book at any point before, during, or after the projects, think of it as a mini design guru to refer to when you need to make an informed decision.
Whether you choose to embark on a DIY adventure, seek the guidance of an interior designer, or combine both approaches, in this book you'll have the key to infuse your space with your own authentic personality. Let your home be a reflection of you.
Visit my site: www.getneatid.com
Buy my book: Buy Now
Request a 1-2-1 or E-Consultation: